Thursday, November 15, 2007

JITTERS & PANIC

Thanksgiving isn't even here, but I became aware yesterday that Christmas is coming--really coming. We had our travel plans ready, our cards were made, and I was operating under the delusion that we were on schedule for completubg the choosing of presents, wrapping them, addressing and mailing cards-------but NO, all of that needs still to be done. JITTERS & PANIC! Christmas is the very best time of the year to me. Not only for the reasons we know are the reasons for the season, but for our extended family time. I love our family, and at this season, I've especially loved watching the "kids" become the grownups with kids of their own; I have taken pleasure in watching those same grownup "kids" becoming careful, thoughtful and good parents. I have enjoyed getting sent to the sidelines, not needed anymore for planning and preparing the celebration. Yes, I love the Christmas season even the one during the ice storm a few years ago when we had 25 members of the family here in our house for from 3 to 9 days. Such a time for visiting; such a time of conversations in depth, such a time full of love. Food? We had plenty? Ice storm? An amazing experience. As I read this over, it sounds a bit sentimental. It sounds as if I need not really be jittery or panicy. We're family, and whatever happens should be enjoyed and treasured. So---I'm taking Christmas in its turn, and starting right now making my thankyou list for next week. One holiday at a time. And if you have JITTERS & PANIC, let them go, go, go and then enjoy. Here's JOY to you all---Marian

1 comment:

jim said...

We go through this every year and some of us plan for the experience and some,like me just sort of let it wash over us. Maybe we non-planners are jst riding on the work of others and don't carry our own wait.